Tuesday, July 4, 2006

Canadian Rockies

I just accepted a placement in the CELTA (Certification for English Language Teaching of Adults) program at International House (IH) in Prague, Czech Republic. I am leaving in late August. I just quit my job and will be traveling as far and wide as possible for the next few weeks.

My friend Patrick and I decided to take off for the 4th of July and head to Canada. July 1st is Canada Day, so we figured there would be plenty of action. We drove up from Spokane through Idaho and into southeastern BC. Our first stop was Kootenay National Park. Though it is a lesser-known park due to its neighbors Banff and Jasper, it is no less breathtaking!


The drive from Banff to Japser is a very dramatic one! The scenery from the road alone is enough to make your head spin. There are myriad peaks between 10-13,000 feet high in every direction!

This picture is from the Johnson Creek Falls trail. I figured it would put the falls into perspective better if you could compare them to me.






I was half asleep in the morning one day and suddenly saw this black bear foraging on the side of the road. We got pretty close to him and he didn't seem to care very much.



We saw some mountain goats and elk too, but that was about it.






This lake is called Peyto Lake after an explorer named Peyto. Doesn't it look like the head of a wolf or coyote? I think so. Anyway, the ridge of mountains behind the lake seemed as though it never ended. It's pretty humbling to be in a place where nature is in full control. You can't quite tell, but the distance from where I am to the lake was about five football fields.

No comments: